Wednesday, July 18, 2007

not convinced

I will say first and foremost that I am a bit of a food snob. Some call it environmentally conscious or health conscious (cancer can do a number on your head ... and body), but let's call a spade a spade ... I don't like food laced with preservatives, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, mercury or genetically modified anything. And I like to understand everything on the ingredients list.

So for about a year now I have been trying to save our family a bit of money (one salary means less disposable income ... duh!). I have gone to the Jewel, the Dominicks, the Safeway and the King Soopers. All regular grocery stores in the cities I have lived since becoming said "snob". All are more expensive for the food snob. For instance, a gallon of organic milk at the Safeway - $5.39. A gallon of organic milk at Whole Foods - $3.99. A dozen cage free eggs (we are not even talking the organic/omega 3 version) $3.29 at the Safeway, $1.99 at the Whole Foods. We buy CranPeach Juice at Whole Foods (no added sugars, just juice) for $2.39. A similar product at the Jewel is $4.29.

We are not talking just pennies. We're talking big, fat whole dollars.

Where the Whole Paycheck can get ya is meat (always go for the weekly special to save), the prepared foods and the Whole Body section. Man am I a sucker for good merchandising and packaging. If I stay away from the shampoo aisles I am good to go.

So it's not Whole Paycheck. It's a Whole Lot Cheaper If You're Buying Organic.


No comments: