Friday, February 1, 2008

the writer's almanac


My first apartment (I should really call it a rented room) was in Durango, Colorado. I had moved to the high desert seeking life away from the South. I spent a lot of time rearranging my furniture, painting, reading and watching the snow fall from the basement windows above my bed. I religiously listened to The Writer's Almanac and to this day when I hear the intro music and Garrison Keillor's voice I think of home. My own home.

Today is the birthday of one of my favorite poets, Galway Kinnell. He was quoted this morning: "To me, poetry is somebody standing up, so to speak, and saying, with as little concealment as possible, what it is for him or her to be on earth at this moment."

Sounds a bit like blogging.

One of Kinnell's poems:

Night in the Forest
A woman
sleeps next to me on the earth. A strand
of hair flows
from her cocoon sleeping bag, touching
the ground hesitantly, as if thinking
to take root.

If you miss it on the radio, you can read or listen to The Writer's Almanac everyday from your computer.

No comments: