Sunday, July 1, 2007

nature-deficit disorder???

So I saw this book on another blog and am ordering it. More than anything because I miss seeing kids being kids. One of the main reasons we moved to Colorado was that we wanted our kid to have access to the outdoors. To be able to look at a skyline that is untouched by man. And selfishly, we wanted that to. I spent a magical childhood exploring outside. The whole neighborhood belonged to us. There were few boundaries.

I know "play-dates" are inevitable. And we will also spend what seems like a lifetime in the car tromping between sporting events and practices. But I hope that D will know the freedom of the outdoors. That he will wear himself out under the shade of many many green trees.

If you want to hear the author, here is a link to an interview on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4665933&sc=emaf

No comments: